Welcome to the website!
I'm glad you could make it.
In these pages are fascinating facts here and there, vital information there and here, and lots and lots of places where you can waste a lot of time! Isn't that what the internet is for, after all? (Oh, yeah, and I refuse to capitalize the "i" in "internet." It's just foolish, after all.)
I'm particularly proud of my Books for Boys sections. Check it out.
A few notes on recent projects I'm working on right now:
5) A Young Adult novel about a somewhat introverted boy who meets a very extroverted girl who takes him on as a pet project and teaches him... well, lots of things. Hence the (working) title: The Many Lessons of Janey Forthright. It also features nudity on the very first page.
4) A completely unrelated YA novel to the first one, where an introverted girl shares the story of her lifelong friendship with a fearless boy, the fun they had, the times they barely escaped trouble, and the sad secret she carries with her to this day.
3) A fairly true-to-life account of the childhood years of Amelia Earhart, who was as much a rebel then as she was as an adult.
2) A middle-grade novel about smart kids who just don't understand the weird rules of school. Do you?
1) A Young Adult novel. Seventeen-year-old Timothy has suffered losses in his life, and Marathon follows him, 26 miles, 26 chapters, as he attempts to complete his first marathon. It takes place in the present as he runs, and in intermittent flashbacks. Each memory is a piece of a puzzle to understanding himself and accepting the perfect imperfection of life.
Many of Timothy’s recent recollections include track coach and mentor, Charlie Fraser, whose running lessons, Timothy realizes, are the lessons of life, and vice-versa. Ultimately, he has to confront the messiness of family, friendship, love and death. At the core, his budding but tenuous relationship with quirky classmate Jordan awakens him to the idea that he's not the only one who's suffered, and that there is a similar kind of communal suffering in running a marathon, the kind that heals.
Stuff to Read...
Are you a boy, or do you know one? Check out my Books for Boys section. It's something I feel strongly about...